Hey all! Today I wanted to write about something a little more personal and hopefully my experience will help you in some way. One thing I get a lot of comments on is how happy and positive I am... I love to shine, shine, shine my light! However this wasn't always the case. So today I am going to share with you elements I have changed within my own life to be happy and positive.
Now we all know someone who is always 'doom and gloom', everything is negative, nothing is ever right or good enough. Ring any bells? Maybe you see elements of this within yourself. For me I always had a negative body image and food was never really fun for me. I was either restricting myself too much or having a binge episode. There was no balance. I felt as if I had no control when in fact no one but myself chose what to put into my body. I also had a huge addiction to diet coke which didn't help my eating habits.
"You can't see the light in your life without acknowledging the darkness."
- For me my first step was to bring more exercise into my life. Through running and yoga I have developed a love for life and learnt to be happy with myself, flaws and all! Not one of us is picture perfect and you know what? perfect is a little bit boring! So embrace your story and accept yourself for who you are.
- My next step was to kick that diet coke habit! Oh yes I did. I'm not going to lie, like any detox there were withdrawals ~ headaches, cravings but I got through it. Giving up diet coke has been one of my best moves for my health and happiness. I had become dependent on it. Yes, it sounds daft I know but it's true. By kicking the habit my skin improved, I had more energy and I wasn't drawn to eating 'empty calories' so much.
- I then began to educate myself on better nutrition. Without a doubt Tone It Up played a huge role in this. With better nutrition I began fuelling my body properly for the first time, I was brave enough to try new foods and new recipes. I began to glow from the inside out. Another great resource of mine is Oh She Glows, I honestly have not tried one of her recipes that I haven't liked! I recently bought the Oh She Glows Cookbook which I will write a review on soon.
- Through Tone It Up I came across Dana. I was so inspired by her story that I knew I had to make Yoga Babe Life a part of my life. Through slowly changing my relationship with food and my outlook on life I finally managed to find peace with myself. I am no longer at war with my body.
- My next step is a recent one and one which I am glad I have taken. I discovered Gabrielle Bernstein through Instagram and picked up her book Spirit Junkie on a bit of a whim. I've never been one for 'self help' books but looking back now Spirit Junkie came along just when I needed it. This book has honestly helped me so much in finding happiness, finding my 'light' and triggering a few life changing moments. When I picked up another of her books Add More ~ing to Your Life I made a positive change in direction to making my dreams come true. I was never meant to work in an office my whole life and through positive self talk, positive thinking, allowing light into my life and just being me I have began to make a change towards something just more 'me'!
- Yoga has also played a big role in my life. Through yoga I have been lead down a path of self discovery. I have learnt to embrace my body. I have become stronger than I ever thought I would be able to and I have gained a positive mindset. I have learnt to live in the present moment and love it for what it is. I eat foods that nourish my body but I won't say no to a good glass of red wine or dark chocolate.
Life is all about balance... Having fun, living free & being yourself - crazy quirks an' all!